Thursday, August 17, 2006

0 - 100

Few days ago I was driving my Golf ( 1990. 1.6 turbo diesel 60Hp ) on this straight and almost empty road and I started wondering how much time my Golf needs to accelerate from 0 to 100 KpH (~60 MpH). And I decided to stop and see.
In first try I held the clutch little longer at start and I changed gears at about 4000 rpm's,
and time was 20.4 seconds. Second time I released the clutch faster and I changed gears at 4500
rpm's where starts red zone, and the time was 19.5 seconds. In third and final try I changed gears
at about 4300 rpm's and time was 18.3 seconds.
I was alone in car and total extra weight was not more than 10-15 kilograms,
I had about half of reservoir full. By the time I was measuring acceleration my Golf was already
heated up to work temperature. I think that it can do better, all that's needed is more experience,
and that's up to me, so I'll keep practicing.

No comments: